What is your WHY?

Home Forums Sticker Shop Forum What is your WHY?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rachel
    Keymaster

Hey Guys!

I hope you are enjoying the Sticker Shop Portion of the course. I would love to hear your Why. Why do you want to start a Planner Sticker Shop?

I truly believe that having a Why and writing it down will really help you get through the tough times. Not to be a downer, but there will be tough times. Running a business isn’t easy, so it helps to know why you are doing this and to remind yourself of that all the time.

So, What is your why?

Rachel
    StickySituationsCo.com
    Courses.StickySituationsCo.com

fran.bullington
    Participant

I almost hesitate to share my why because it sounds so much like yours!  I have learned , though, that your why can change over the course of time.

Original why: to save money by making my own stickers

I purchased a Silhouette 3 years ago when I decided I wanted to try my hand at making my own stickers.

How I wish your design course had been around back then!  I watched all the YouTube videos I could find on designing in Silhouette Studio, but there was still so much that I had to teach myself.

Even through hundreds of hours of discovering the best way to design a kit (and more importantly, the things NOT to do when designing a kit), I didn’t get discouraged because I loved the outlet for my creativity!

I started my shop with the idea that one day I would like to be making an extra $200 a month with my business. After a year in business, I have paid for my new iPad Pro (bought in late December) and have been paying back my “loan” for the graphics to use in designing stickers.  (I use the word “loan” because I used funds from my husband’s and my joint checking account to purchase the graphics/licenses/subscriptions I needed for my business. My husband doesn’t care if I reimburse our personal account or not, but I do!) That loan is almost paid off, too, so perhaps I need to set a new goal for myself.

Current why: it’s my creative outlet (I have SO many craft supplies just laying around now that I found what I really want to create) AND a way to pay for some of the extras in life

Rachel
    Keymaster

@fran-bullington

Thank you for sharing your why! I’m so glad that you didn’t give up or get discouraged.

Rachel
    StickySituationsCo.com

Brittany Berry
    Participant

My why may sound a little crazy or far fetched, but…

I want to bring my husband home from his backbreaking job. I mean that in a sort of literal sense. He hurt his back a few months ago and been home since. He’s drawing short-term disability because of it. He wants to start a t-shirt business, and I wanted to do that, too. So I figured we could do it together.

I also don’t want to work in the corporate world. I m almost finished with college, though. So in case the stickers don’t work out, I can return to corporate. I want to show my kids that anything is possible because my girls’ dad is filling them with a bunch of crap that’s going to get them buried in debt by the time they’re 19.

My ultimate why is because I want to make something out of myself. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll have my own line of stickers and t-shirts. Yesterday, someone from Amazon contacted me and offered me to be part of their B2B program, which less than 1% of sellers get to be part of. She thinks I have tons of potential to get my name out there and really grow.

Brandee Carey
    Participant

December of last year the store I managed closed down.  During this time I was sitting here racking my brain about what I could do from home until I found something.  I had just purchased a Silhouette the month before strickly to make myself signs to decorate my house.  So when I lost my job I was like “I have this machine, what in the world can I do with it?”    So I made a list of all the different businesses I could do with it.  I thought of my signs and crafts shows but my gut kept telling me no.

Because I had lost my job, budgeting was HUGE to make sure we could survive so I went to YouTube to watch budgeting videos.  I had thought about doing YouTube with some realistic budgeting because what I was watching didn’t fit my scenario and I thought there was a market for it (who knows maybe I still will one day)  but as I was getting into my own budgeting groove, I started looking for stickers on Etsy to help me.  I was so paranoid about spending any money since I had taken a HUGE pay cut with being on unemployment that I started making stickers for myself to save money.  My daughter and husband convinced me to put them on Etsy.  I wasn’t convinced and almost stopped since my first month I didn’t sell anything.  Then one night after a terrible day of interviews that left me completely deflated, I prayed for direction.  The next morning, I woke up with my first sale and knew that was my sign!  And although I have found a job (which is definitely not my dream job) I and working hard in the hopes that I can do this full time.  *crossing fingers*

Brandee
    AKA: The Perky Project
    Aka: Perky's Paperie

Rachel
    Keymaster

@bberry43214

Not crazy at all! Sounds like you have a lot of exciting things happening for you! Im so excited for you and I hope that the Amazon thing works out!

Rachel
    StickySituationsCo.com

Rachel
    Keymaster

@brandee-carey

I love this! You can do it and I’m so glad that you didn’t give up on your shop. Thank you for sharing your story!

Rachel
    StickySituationsCo.com

Nicole Stauffer
    Participant

I feel like I have a MILLION “why’s”…I’m just worried none of them will be big enough! I’m a SAHM/Homeschooling mom and my husband is in logistics with a pretty long daily work schedule. Budget can get pretty tight at times, and his work schedule limits my ability to go out and find a supplemental position. I’d like to be able to alleviate some of the pressure (financially) for my family, without having to sacrifice our current life setup. I LOVE designing and creating in the areas that I’m passionate about (planners, Disney, travel, homeschooling, etc.). So if there is a way for me to accomplish both, that’s a win. Lol, right now it feels like it’s all about the $$, but it’s not. It is, but it’s not! It’s about the things we’d be able to do if we were more freed up financially and work schedule-wise. It’s about how we could influence and build up in other areas outside ourselves where we are a bit more limited right now. I’d love to be able to eliminate our debt through my own hard work, to create a product that is uniquely my own. And…my ultimate dream…to be able to bring my husband home so we can work a business together.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top