Help! My Silhouette is tearing my paper

Home Forums Sticker Design Forum Help! My Silhouette is tearing my paper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brittany Berry
    Participant

I just bought this Silhouette like a week ago and did a test print and cut. Everything worked perfectly. I got my first customer order yesterday, and I’m trying again to do print and cut. The print came out fine, but the Silhouette is cutting my paper.

1. Have you had this happen with a brand new machine?

2. What can I do?

3. And how do I know if it’s my blade?

I’m using Online Labels removable matte sticker paper, and my settings for the cutting machine are set to the same thing as in the print and cut course video.

The first couple of stickers went fine, but after that, my machine started making a funny noise. It’s like it just started tearing my paper up, and there was paper wrapped around the blade. The blade is so little, we can’t tell if it’s bent or anything. I only have until Tuesday to get this order shipped out to my customer, and I’m freaking out a bit. Plus, it’s my first order. So yeah, not going so good.

Any help at all is truly appreciated!

Rachel
    Keymaster

@bberry43214

Silhouette machines can act up even when they are new. I wouldn’t just use the settings from the video since you are using a different paper type and I know that removable matte is a thinner paper so the settings I use are probably going to be too much for that paper. I recommend testing out other settings because what works for one person may not work for someone else. Every machine is different and sometimes every blade can be different and require different settings.

I would recommend adjusting the settings and also calibrating your machine as this sometimes helps reset the machine. There are several videos on YouTube on how to calibrate. And sometimes you just have to turn the machine off and walk away for a little bit. They have a mind of their own and sometimes you just have to put them in time out. Lol.

I hope this helps!

Rachel
    StickySituationsCo.com
    Courses.StickySituationsCo.com

Brittany Berry
    Participant

The only reason I started with those settings was because I watched one of your videos on YouTube about getting paper from Online Labels, and I figured I’d start there just to see. The first page I did was perfect, but there weren’t very many corners. The sheet I just tried has a lot of turns and corners.

I’ll try calibrating and different settings, but the only thing I’m worried about is waste. Because of the Cricut, I’ve wasted like 20 sheets so far. Now, I know that’s going to be a given, but is there a way to do this without wasting so much ink and paper? And what settings do you recommend starting with, if any? I’m only asking because you have a ton of experience with this machine.

Rachel
    Keymaster

@bberry43214

it’s been several years since I used the removable matte paper but I remember it being super thin, so I would try a force of 3 to start out and see if that cuts it enough to peel up but not so much that it destroys the sheet.

you might also want to slow down the speed if you have a lot of turns and corners. I always use a speed of 8, but I’ve heard other shops say that their machines can’t handle that speed. Every machine is different and so you really have to just play with the settings to find the perfect one.

unfortunately waste is just part of getting the perfect settings. But one thing that might help is to make a sheet that has several circles or whatever shape you want and make the cut lines different colors so you can have your machine try all the different settings on one sheet and see which setting works the best.

Rachel
    StickySituationsCo.com
    Courses.StickySituationsCo.com

Brittany Berry
    Participant

The noise is what was freaking me out, but I learned that’s normal.

I tried your suggestion and turned the blade to a 3, the force at 4, speed at 4, and 2 passes. It didn’t destroy my sheet this time, but you can see the cut lines on the back of the sheet. It’s perfect cuts, though. I just don’t think I should send this sheet to my customer. If she grabs it the wrong way, her finger will go right through the paper where the cut lines are.

So now, I have to figure out if it’s the blade or the force that’s too high. This design has a ton of triangles to cut, so yeah, lots of corners.

Thanks!

Shika
    Participant

Hi! I’m totally too late to actually help you with your order, but I would say that 1 pass is usually enough for a kiss cut, even for the cut through for the outside of the sticker sheet, I only have 1 pass, but with a higher force. I use force 1 for a lot of the different sticker papers I have tried! I would recommend doing as Rachel suggested and try lots of different cut settings to get that sweet spot of having the kiss cut, but not scoring through to the back of the sheet.

Also, there should be a blade cleaning tool thingy that came with your machine? I use the Portrait 2 and the tool is a circular piece of plastic that allows the blade to become exposed with a bit of force and you can (carefully) clean it when it gets lodged with paper.

Congrats with your first order and hope it worked out in the end!

Shika

Brittany Berry
    Participant

Yeah, too late for that order. But I just got 2 more yesterday. I finally figured out that I only needed one pass through after about 6 sheets of paper. But it’s figured out now, and I shouldn’t have to worry about it again from now on.

I knew that the little cleaning thing was in there. I was able to get the paper out, but it just kept happening until I realized that the settings were way too high for that paper.

So I think I have it figured out for now. Since my orders seem to be picking up already, I’ve already ordered a ton more sticker paper. Now, I just need to get a spare blade and extra printer ink. I suspect that sales are going to start picking up for everyone, especially stickers because of back to school and holidays.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top